Monday, March 07, 2005

Hey - What's That Freight-train-sounding Noise?

So a few nights ago I was up $50 or so from my heads-up matches. I've gotten pretty good at the $5 ones - play 3-4/day, win ~60-65% of them. I tend to take the profits and try to parlay them into something bigger. So I enrolled in a $13 single-table SnG for a TEC on Ultimate Bet, which low and behold I managed to win. If you don't know, a TEC is worth a $100 + $9 entry into any tourney on UB.

So I studied on it, and today entered a $10,000 guaranteed tourney. There were 109 participants. 20 places paid out. Many of them were very, very good players. For example, at my starting table was P0ker H0, who is one of the top-ranked UB players. The caliber of play was WAY better than anything I have faced to date. Rarely did anyone limp into a flop. So I decided to just ratchet my normal tight/aggressive style up a couple more notches in each direction.

At the one hour break I had ~ 3000 chips (2500 starting set) and was in 46th place. I held my own until ~ 10 minutes prior to the 2 hour break, and had accumulated ~ 7000 chips and was in 21st place out of 46 remaining players. I wasn't catching many cards, but had done well with what I had gotten. I had not had to go to the river for any large all-in-type pots. Most of my folds and lay-downs had been easy. So I get 9/10s in the SB. Blinds are at $100/$200. One caller plus me and BB. I raise $100 and each calls. Flop comes rainbow J/Q/K for my straight. Best hand I had had in nearly 2 hours. I raise $500 and get one fold and one call. Turn is Kc - no double suits on board. I bet $1000 and am raised. I look, think, then go all-in. Am called and caller turns over A/10. Sucker straight - never saw it coming. Had even been warning myself not to have it happen when I saw it take someone out earlier. Out 46th.

Seems like I make one bone-head move every time I lose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poker Championship

I have registered to play in the
Online Poker Blogger Championship!

This event is powered by PokerStars.

Registration code: 6781704