Thursday, July 06, 2006

An odd experience

Tonight I was playing in the $12.5k Guaranteed tourney on UB. The same one I had good luck with a few weeks ago. I'm holding average well into the 2nd hour, and get transferred to a new table. After a few rounds of the table, I witness a tough beat from the button and button -1. Each had an ~T5k in chips, and the B-1 had Jacks, and the Button had Rockets. The B-1 catches a J and pairs the board to get J's full. Tough beat any way you look at it, especially ~30 minutes from the bubble.

I make a conciliatory comment, and get the comment back 'See you soon at the Poker Barn, bama.' The Poker Barn is the locale of our regular home game. I was stunned. You see, I'm not a big social poker player. I play sporadically, when I have the time/inclination. Although I think I started this blog in a partial attempt to join/connect with the very welcoming and inclusive Poker Blogging community, I've realized that I don't have time to even keep the blog running very well, much less maintain a network of loosely coupled acquaintances around this subject. Hell, between work travel and family duty, I can barely maintain the few quality friendships I have right now. Most of them are centered around either my Poker crew or a few neighborhood dads just as desperate for someone to drink a furtive beer with as me.

I had no notion of EVER sitting down across the virtual felt with anyone I actually knew, or even knew of. This whole thing really freaked me out. Really. Almost put me on tilt. So much so that I'm typing this while still playing in the tourney, and we're on the bubble, which may well cost me a good bit of $. My friend (who has a great food blog btw), was nice enough to identify himself. If he hadn't I think my head would've exploded.

It was a very surreal experience. Very.

I think for the most part, I view poker, and even this blog for that part, as an almost completely anonymous thing. I know many people have blogs, or myspace accounts, or whatever, to communicate with their social circle. For me, it's the opposite - I shudder when I think about anyone I know reading this blog or watching me play poker. Not sure why - I guess it's my suppressed Introvert coming through.

Anyway, I better go see if I can at least make it into the $. 70 players remain, bubble's @ 50. M of ~ 10. Nip n' Tuck.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was touch by this experience... I learned a lot of it though need no internalize some. Thanks for sharing.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Online poker bankrolls guide, Free start up $50 bankrolls for new players - all possible $50 bankrolls :)

Plymouth Roadrunner - Good luck

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice article as for me. I'd like to read more about that matter. Thank you for posting this data.
Joan Stepsen
New technology gadgets

6:49 AM  
Anonymous טקסס הולדם said...

Thenks for sharing man :)

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poker Championship

I have registered to play in the
Online Poker Blogger Championship!

This event is powered by PokerStars.

Registration code: 6781704